Dealing with body struggles is a tough thing to swallow. It something that everybody has dealt with throughout or some point of their lives. I can really be tough on my body at times. Wishing my stomach was flatter, I wish I didn’t have dimples on my butt, or stretch marks. Wishing my skin was more clearer or my teeth brighter. All those things that keep me obsessing.
Here come the school stories. I was called “butter ball” in middle school. Also I was the thick girl in high school. Yeah some guys actually called me big mama! Really ! You already know that having meat on your bones was rarely celebrate or in style. Then I had a bad love triangle thing in college… all the way wrong! So yes the anxiety set in and your trying to do anything and everything to fit in what the world says is normal. Little do you know your now on the road of body image struggles.
Over time I learn to love my body but I don’t love it all time. I can be somewhat critical of myself, and that really gives me the blues something. How do I deal with my body struggles ?
The way I looked at my body struggles came from a number of things. Bad breakups, being teased, a lot of negative things that shaped how I feel and see my body. It really hard being a woman trying to find her place in world with it different standards on body image, and beauty. Its hard as hell ! I know a number of us have one or handful things that they want to change about our appearance. So how do we cope with this? How do we not get completly disgusted with our bodies ?
How to Improve Your Body Image ?
- Stop being so mean to yourself . We can be our worst critic! Have you noticed that you can list the negative things faster than the positive things. So listen and become more aware to what you are saying to yourself. Remember that no one on this earth is perfect . So if you see yourself being negative… Stop it ! Say I am “fine as hell”! I say lol that but really give yourself a positive compliment !
- Learn and accept your body. I learn to love my body when I started my blog. I become a blogger specifically to improve how I seen and felt about my body. Getting in front of the camera. Taking risk with certain outfit really change how I viewed myself. I started taking more pride in myself
- Positive affirmations. Every morning I tell myself how much I love me ! Especially in the mirror. Something I stand in front of the mirror naked and I just give myself positive affirmation shower. I shower myself with self love.
- List what your love about yourself. I love to think about this. Every once in awhile I have to remind myself because I get the blues. So I listen all the things I love about me. I love my butt, or my smile! Or how funny I am ! All those things matter.
- Get a massage!
- Nourish your body. Feed your body right. I never claim to be a fitness guru or anything like that. However I notice when I eat right and really nourish my body I feel good. My image on my body is not distorted based off how I feel. When I feel good internally my image of my body looks good too
“Don’t let your mind bully your body”.
Sis you are worthy!
Self Worth is key to battling your negative body image. You are worthy! What is self worth ? Well the way I understand self worth is being deserving of good things. You are worthy of good health, happiness, success, or whatever you see fit to make you happy. In order to do something about how your perceive body you first have to re-evaluate your worth. If you do not tackle this or understand how worthy you are you will undermine everything step you take to improve your body image. So work at consistently. I preach this all the time, take time and learn yourself. Ask yourself serious question about you, what make you tick, what you love ? Accept the good, bad , and the ugly. Self Love. Have compassion and I think you are on the right path in improving your self worth.
On The Fashion Tip
Omg this look paired with this location just all came together so beautifully. I chose to do a classic look for the spring time. My views on my body change so much over time, I love showing off my curves and even my stomach. Look at the belly button peeping through lol. I got this whole outfit….. Give you time to guess!! If you a frequent reader you already know how much I love Forever 21. SO yes the whole outfit is from Forever. I decided to do a classic look however it had a few twist. Normal classic look is consider a nice pair plain denim jeans with a button down woven shirt. Classy right ! I had to push to agenda. Yes a blue and white stripped woven shirt with twisted hem set the outfit off right. I wore this shirt out and I got a lot of compliments on it and really becoming on the belly. Now the denim. Spring always bring out the classic denim looks however, my denim are always distressed. I love distressed jeans because of that extra edginess I need to bring to my look. Lastly to keep this look clean, sharpe , and edgy I had to add my all time favorite sneakers into the mix. Low Top White Converse ! This shoe alone can make a lot of outfits complete !
Check out the links below to get this look in your closet !
This whole outfit is less than 110 bucks!
Plus Size Distressed Skinny Ankle Jeans// Forever21// Shop
White Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Low Top// Journeys// Shop
With all that being said sis it never to late to change the way you view your body. Your body is unique and it yours so get out of your own way and love on you. Remember you are worthy and that is the key to help arm yourself from your negative views of your body image. You got the tools so work on this daily. I am right with you sis. No more blues !
Location: Belle Isle Park | Detroit, MI
Photographer: Reem Eissa Photography
special shoutout to Reem. she is my new favorite photographer. omg shooting with her is amazing. the location alone was beautiful. i love shooting at the belle isle conservatory because you can get a different look every time.